Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Snow on May Day

Happy May Day!

Today is is a gray and gloomy day here in Nebraska. It is chilly and raining, and the forecast is calling for that rain to turn into snow when the sun goes down. 



And I love it. 

I know that May is supposed to be a month full of sunshine and flowers, and maybe even heading out to the beach and letting your skin see the world for the first time this year.  It is supposed to be the month children start to get out of school and begin their summer adventures. But to me, the longer we can hold on to the chilly weather, the rain, the snow, the lack of sweating constantly, the better this year is.

I know, I know, I'm in the vast minority. I will make no friends saying that I am excited about the snow in May. But I'm ok with that, because I love the snow that much!

When I was a little girl, this weather on this particular day might have bummed me out quite a bit more than it does today. Back then May Day was one of my favorite days to spend with my dad. We would bake tons of cookies, or make rice krispy treats covered in chocolate, and package them all up with bows on top and distribute them to our neighbors. I remember running down the streets, across people's yards, clutching those little packages, always so excited. It was always something that I looked forward to doing with him, whether he knew it or not. Looking back on those memories really makes me miss having him around all the time. 


So with this lovely May Day off work, I think I'm going to go make some hot chocolate, call my dad, and wait for the snow to begin <3






No comments:

Post a Comment