Friday, January 4, 2013

Supposably Irregardless.

Day four of January Blog A Day: Pet Peeves


I'm not an English major. English classes in college made me cry a little bit on the inside because I abhorred them so much. I really have to sit through this THREE times this week?? Just so, so, so awful. But don't take that to mean that I don't love grammar and proper spelling to almost inappropriate levels.

I do believe that some people are naturally better spellers than others. When I was little bitty, my dad would help me study for my spelling tests for school every single week. I don't think a word actually stumped me until at least sixth grade. And that would end up being a very embarrassing moment for me because it was a spelling bee that was broadcast to the whole school. Look, I was 10. I didn't know what on earth a "fiscal" was. But you better believe that I will never spell it wrong ever again.



There are some words (we'll call them that for the sake of argument, even though some of them are NOT words) that make my skin crawl.

Supposably
Irregardless
Pacific (when not referring to the ocean)
Melk (MILK, people.)
The boyfriend can vouch for me at how much "melk" bothers me.
 He says it fairly often just to mess with me. He thinks he is funny, Ace and I vote that he is not.
Conversate
Ginormous





I'm polite enough that I pretty much never say anything in the moment that someone uses these words, but sometimes I just can't hide the physical shudder that it causes.

So please, please, for the love of the English language, please don't use any of the above words.


1 comment:

  1. Ace and I had a conversation. We think that melk is delicious and pellows are good to sleep on. You should try them both.

    ReplyDelete