Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A full voice mail inbox.

My cell phone likes to make me listen to all my old voice mails before I can get to the newest one. I have hit save on certain messages probably hundreds of times, but it still makes me re-save them regularly.

Today I was checking a voice mail from the man who will be my boss starting tomorrow. It was a fairly straight forward message about what to expect tomorrow, and to give him a call back if I had any questions. But to get to this simple message, I had to listen through about ten other messages first.

I have messages saved from old friends who called from their deployments, or called when they got back from deployment and were lonely and just needed someone to listen
.
I have messages from the boyfriend telling me he missed me when he was out of town. 

I have messages from drunk friends that were sent in the middle of the night that will need to be saved for blackmail possibility, or just for some good laughs.

And today when listening to a new voice mail, I came across one from my dad on my birthday this last year. It made me just so, so happy.

I don't know why I feel like I need to save them for so long.  
Partially it is so I can hear the voices of the people I love whenever I want. 
Partially it is to remember where I was and what was happening at those times. 
But that doesn't entirely make sense, because everyone who I have a message saved from is someone that I could call at any time, day or night, and they would be there for me. They would talk to me if I was feeling sad, or hopeless, or if I just wanted to say hi.

So maybe, just maybe, it is for the warm fuzzy feeling I get from knowing every time I get a new voice mail, I will be reminded of the people I love, 
and that they love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment